Thursday, September 07, 2006

Response to captain's armband

Okay I've been humbled. For the record when you send an email to askareferee@ussoccer.org, you get a response from Jim Allen, who is a National Intructor. Basically the answer you get is the USSF's stand point (He doesn't always make the decision on his own, but may confer with other National Intructors). We're lucky to have this and because of this, I will now be a tight ass on the "arm"band.

Hey just because I'm on the way to grade 5 and an instructor, doesn't mean I always get it right. We're lucky to have that source. Below is my email and response from Jim Allen.


I hate to bug you guys on a trivial piece, but it's a huge debate.
>Basically in section 19.4 in Advice states in one sentence: The captain
>usually wears an armband and is responsible to the referee for his or her
>team, but has no special rights or privileges.
>
>While I have no problem with the latter part of the statement, I have one
>in the former. I was at a kids tournament and the captains wear their band
>on the shins instead of the arm. Are we to make them wear it on their arm
>simply because it's called an armband?
>
>Signed,
>
>Embarrassed to ask.
Yes, Embarrassed, you make them wear them on their arms. Nothing is
allowed on players' shins but shinguards covered by socks.
Jim Allen
USSF National Instructor Staff

1 comment:

Tom Kendig said...

GC, embarrassed?

We got three captains bands for the young ladies. Even after moms sewed them small the girls still could not get them to stay on their arms.

I said, look, it fits here - and put them on their shinns.

Did Jim know it was U9 girls?

I don't think I will ever quote that passage to kids under 12, maybe to the ladies at 19 in GSSL.

But I am glad you asked.

TEK