Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday, Wierd Friday

It's only 6:30am in the morning. How can it get so weird? Well I started off in the Starbucks in Fremont and the guy who rings me up looks and shakes like he's already had too much of the stuff he is brewing. Then I overhear two others on how one guy closes and doesn't do the caramel the "Starbucks" way. Like give me a break. I'm staying with my local.

I go to take a gander in our news and Steve Irwin's memorial sold out in 15 minutes. WTF? Are people that insane? What happened to memorials are there to celebrate the life of the individual who passed?

In other news, I went to the DUSL board meeting last night. Exceeded my expectations. The president of the board knows how to run a meeting and did a good job of it. I got to address my issues which were well received. Apparently my reputation as a referee paid off because they bounced things off of me most of the night. It also helped that I knew half of the board, outside the board, and the other half knew me by name. I don't expect change to happen by this weekend, but perhaps the following weekend will be a different story. It also helps that they have shared with me that I am not the only one to complain, but my reputation and my willingness to come to them and address the issue meant a lot.

While the board is pretty new (There are still a couple of old hands there), they seem very willing to learn from mistakes.

Funny thing though was when I got there, the president said it would be a short meeting, but then other board members showed up and and the short meeting was 3 hours long. If I remember reading other things, they were usually an hour long. My wife when she woke me up with a noise briefly asked me how the meeting went and if I felt better. I said I did. I think she expected me to be confrontational, and I may have felt like doing so, but I and everyone has to remember, this is an organization ran by volunteers who have families. I sat and listened and one of them coaches two teams, sits on the board, referees, and it still stepping up to do more. There were similar ones there as well. One of them even earned my respect back, though he is unaware he even lost it or re-earned it.

No comments: