Saturday, September 09, 2006

Opening Game day not what I hoped

The Cheetah Girls made their debut playing their first game. Unfortunately it wasn't the game I was hoping for. Sure we can't win them all, but we got slaughtered 5-0. One major problem of not having referees is you don't have a neutral person to make the crucial calls to make or break a goal. One of them was our keeper had a hand on the ball in order to get it kicked out. That should have had a whistle blown. Nope. The two we had out there. Mine, who was probably conflicted to make the call. The other, well she didn't want to "screw" her team.
Another case. My keeper took a hard shot and she started crying. Ball was still in play for two more shots and still no whistle. Now the referee in me was saying, there was no foul and the goal was legit. On the other hand, it was bad sportsmanship. The assistant coach next to me was celebrating even though my keeper was screaming in pain. For the record, she was just released from the hospital and we're still not sure of he capabilities yet.

And they just rubbed it in. I kept my sportsmanship in check up to this point. We even had a better second half. When it came time to shake hands, the ASS coach came up to me and said, "Excellent game! Excellent game!"
Excellent for who?
If anyone remembered the history of soccer in the referee class will remember why referees exist in the first place. We had umpires today and not good ones.
As I talked with my wife it turns out this is an older team. What happened to keeping the teams level? That was the pitch that was given to me in the beginning of sign ups. It was the pitch given to me during the beginning of the year to now. The hostile take over in Dublin was supposed to make things better.
So far things have far from improved. Teams seemed lopsided this morning. The uniforms got in our hands yesterday and some size issues are present in our team. Marlena's socks are too big. The referee coordinating is lazy. I got an email that said, 12 hours to fill spots. Hello....get your ass on the phone and make phone calls. See my "Assigning a Lost Art" blog for how I really feel. We are supposed to have pictures tomorrow. Again, we have uniform size issues.

No comments: