Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The captain's "Armband"

Last Saturday I had a good opportunity to be an AR for one the youth that was in the mentor program when I was in the program. Even though I'm not an active mentor, it doesn't mean I don't check on the various kids that take under my wing from time to time or those who have graduated from my referee class to make great strides in the program (gives me a sense of pride because it started with me).

So I was running line for her and was disappointed that she wasn't at the tent 30 minutes prior to kick off. Since Bill H. already gave her the riot act, I chose to let it lay. So we check in the teams and 2 of the players designated as captains that were wearing the bands on the legs. This doesn't bother me, for it's not a safety issue. I honestly don't see an unfair advantage to wearing one. However my former protoage asked them to put the bands on their arms. When it came half time I asked her, "Where did you get the notion that the band needs to be worn on their arm?"
SG: From the people.

Me: Ooooooohhh The people!! What people may that be?

SG: The mentors in my program.

Me: Okay, and did you go home and look this up for yourself?

SG: Ummmmmmmmmm no.

Me: Why not?

SG: Because I trust the people who told me.

Me: You should trust them, but you should verify because not always you are going to get correct information.

SG: Well I don't feel like it. (typical response from her by the way).

Me: sigh

For those that are reading this, and are referees because I know players and coaches don't seem to give a damn, look it up before you next game. If I'm wrong, I would challenge you to point to me a page where specifies in either the Laws of the Game or Advice for Referees where the captain's band needs to be. No, the title "Armband" isn't enough for me and it pisses me off when referees look for a battle before kickoff. Nuff said.

Now I did find something on section 19.4 on the Advice for Referees. It says: The captain usually wears an armband and is responsible to the referee for his or her team, but has no special rights or privileges.

It didn't say must. It didn't say have to. It said usually which to me is subject to negotiation and interuptation. Until they reword it, then that is my ruling.

No comments: