Monday, August 07, 2006

The Ultimate Red Card

Sunday I show up for my game at Beach Chalet. No sooner as I get there my colleagues are dying to tell me the new about a Celtic goalkeeper who was arrested on a fatal hit and run. When told the story, they said it was a pedestrian he hit. My first thought was, "Well he was stupid to run because he made a very bad situation into a worse one." Of course since I do know the goalkeeper he's been on the receiving end of my yellow card a few times naturally I was curious to see if he was as dumb as they say. I found a news clip that poked several holes in that story and actually can give him a good defense or at least a lighter sentence.

Well I didn't have to worry about that for very long because I had my assessment to worry about. My first game back after a month long injury looks like I favored one muscle over the other. My groin muscle acted up in the second half. I survived the match with 5 yellows. I dealt with time wasting, but according to the assessor I only got one player for persistant infrindgment. I'm not so sure if I agree with that. For instance the assessor had a mad on for #7 but after the last hard foul, I kept an eye out for him and didn't find him to be anymore of a threat. That was the true big thing. The second was my foul selection. He said he was going to do the points and get back to me by wednsday. Hopefully this would be all for the centers and after next weekend I will have nothing more to worry assessment wise, but just focus on the fitness test and written test which should be somewhat of a cake walk after all I have been through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GC, I do like your posts on soccer. It helps me think about and focus on the right thing at my matches.

You are getting a lot of assesments lately. I think that is good and should be improving you game more and more.

And the story about the guy arrested off the soccer field! What a story for that referee to tell.

TEK

Giancarlo said...

Thanks for commenting.

On the positive side, assessments are a great tool to help you improve. It gives you an unbiased different perspective of the game. On the downside when it's required either to keep your grade or maintain, sometimes the assessors really get off on jerking you around before telling you if you passed or failed. I have yet to fail an assessment (knock on wood), but this is the third time in my career where I am left wondering during the week if I passed. As one assessor told me last night (will remain nameless), he hates it when assessors will not tell him on the field whether they passed or failed.