Monday, August 28, 2006

Assessments gone amuck

Saturday I spent the day with my son as my wife and daughter had a girls day out. Basically it was what the wife wanted and I felt she needed it so why not? She was back well in enough time for me to get ready for my game. So I was looking forward to tonight's game as the 3 amigos were going to be together as a crew after a good time span of this not happening. Jesse who hasn't seen me since February makes a comment about my beard and how a grade 5 shouldn't have one. I mention Ali H. who has 4 times the beard I have and is also going for his 5. Jesse thought we were being assessed. I told him I got my final assessment the week I came off the injured list. So Jesse was happy I made it and relieve that we could "be ourselves" tonight. We showed up at the field and our first clue we were not going to have a game was in the picture:



After we waited until the 30 minute mark and not seeing a soul we decided to call our assignor. He called us back and said the game was moved to a different time and place. Initially I was laughing with my compadres because that meant we could catch up with stuff over beer and pizza. It also meant that I could have helped my local league on Saturday and didn't. However, the fact my wife got out to do her stuff eased the blow of that fact. One of my buds was having a hard time getting his assessment. For some of us, it's a last minute deal. The SFSFL is ending its season with a few straggling games left over. He could do CPSA but those centers are hard to get. There will be a lot of Nationals who need assessments still.
So Sunday it's confirmed that the same guy who has watched my back this season is going to watch my bud's and get his assessment done. I was scheduled for the same field as my friend. Usually when referees are getting assessed the games tend to fall behind because of the AR's assigned to that match. So my friend Brian, got assessed, then another referee got assessed. So that delayed it more. My game ran and it was in control, if not smooth. 6 yellow cards. First two to knuckleheads who had it in for one another. The one from Haitian Exp. I really had to work to keep him in the game. Still with good assistants, I had control of the match. Even called two PK's where none went in. Good goalkeeping? Nope. Bad kickers.
My last game was....you guessed it. Assessed. My good buddy Rafael S. was being looked at. I'm just going to say I bailed him out a few times that game. Sons of Italy seemed to have forgiven me for the reds the last time I was there.

No comments: