Friday, August 18, 2006

A good game, but lot of room to grow.

First the good. I thought I was going to have it a little easy being AR2 and all. The teams? Mustang U19 Girls vs. the Japan Women's U19 Girls National team. I worked with one referee I am pretty familliar with and another who in my opinion needs a lot of work. Unfortunately he was the one in the center. I'm leaving the name out for obvious reasons.

Mustang U19 Girls. Led by Coach John Doyle, former assistant coach of the San Jose Earthquakes.

Japan. My Japanese as limited as it was, I was able to aay "Hi how are you?" The caption during the internation walk on was pretty impressed and it got some of them smiling. It's amazing what little things do.

Mustang pressed on the attack. The good thing? They got more goals. Bad thing, they were called offside alot.
Japan had the meanest offside trap I have ever seen in my career as a referee. I mean they would pull up at the last moment before the pass and the Mustang girls got dumbfounded. Problem was the trap was too relied on and the got scored against twice.

The center who was supposed to be a State sure didn't referee like one. Made a bunch of error that should have been cleared up at the 4 assessments to get to state. Blowing the whistle to signal a goal is not a mechanic a state referee does. Stopping the clock on a PK is not a mechanic a state referee does. Lack of eye contact was the last one, and had it been followed, the players should not have had to yell sub.

Otherwise it was a great and exciting game. Pic to come soon.

2 comments:

Tom Kendig said...

GC, Hey, waiting for a picture!

Was there a Japan U19 mens team also?

Neat assignment.

Gosh it's hard to get centers to subsitute the way the Advice to Referees instructs. It is so common in youth soccer to yell "SUB" that referees now expect it - them not realizing that means they are not doing there job.

I find yelling "SUB" demeaning to the spectical of the match - but as a coach am required to do it for almost all referees.

I am not a State Referee (yet) but in my matches I have a pregame with each coach indicating how I as a referee will handle subsitutions. Just my style. Oh and in my matches we subsitute by postion (no verbal).

Giancarlo said...

No Men's team. Just women's and some players from Japan placed 2 games. To their credit, they played well. Mustang just out conditioned them and out subbed them.

In Alaska, the class one teams are equivalent to class 3 or 4 here in California. But the one thing I was impressed with was the subs came at the halfway line without so much a peep from us. It made substitutions more fluid.

In Cal-North, it should be a regular practice as well as every place else.