Sunday, August 13, 2006

No guts, no glory.

Before I get into the meaning of my topic, I will just briefly go over the weekend. Saturday my family left for Fresno for my niece's birthday party. Why did I stay behind? We'll it's a bit complicated, but let's just say it had to do with promises, commitments, and basically trapped into promises, even if my end of the bargain was killed beyond my control. Or anyone else involved in my commitments. As a result I was free to take a grade 9 class to teach. Which I did. Tuesday night was the classroom session and Saturday was the field session and test. I had a good involved class which made my night fun. At the end of the test, I had a first and that was I didn't have to talk anyone through questions and all had passed. Must mean my teaching has improved, although, I noted there was a question on the test everyone missed. Looking at the answer, I can see why. Still everyone passed the first time around.

I came home after a long morning an early afternoon and took a nap. I then get a call when I expect it to be my wife telling me she has arrived, it was John with a plea for me to take a 2nd AR spot on a CPSA game. He must have been desparate because it's not like him these day to put someone back to back. Through other referees, I know John took my injuries as a consideration.

So the moment of truth is almost here. I did the first game and found out that sucking down a GU energy boost 15 minutes prior to a match and washing it with a bottle of water really gives you a good boost. Of course I had my left over pasta and fiber one before I left the house. I had a good game, but I had to call the referee Ziad and have him book a player because he would not shut up when it came to my offside calls which was a lot. He said, "Give me a fucking break." on one of my calls and I almost responded, "Give me a fucking break and stay onside." He got booked none the less.

2nd game is where it happens. Teams are Concordia SC and Mezcala. Mezcala and I have a history and it's usually not a good one. I have 4 red cards with their name on them in my career. I was just the AR. Needless to say, I had to get involved in this one. I was working with Siad Ravenfar, whom is always a pleasure to work with. As a Concordia player entered the penalty box, he was in between two players and looked like he was going to be sandwiched. Next second I saw the one Mezcala player on the goal side grab a fist full of jersey and shorts and pulled him down. I think I saw the player's underwear. I flagged the foul and went straight to the corner. Siad went to talk to me because as I flagged it, he pointed to the other direction. He went to me and I told him my version. He went with the PK. Concorida scored and the keeper was livid. He said to me, "It's always you! No matter what it's always you screwing us!" He got booked finally after the goal when he did a few more outbursts, but it was clear I was not very popular with 50% of the crowd for that call. But I will sleep good at night knowing I had the courage to make the call. For the record, Siad thought the Concorida player was taking a dive and was about the make a huge mistake as it would have been the second caution. There was no way he would have seen the shirt grab from his angle.

No comments: