Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Integrity

I'm doing my quarterly poker tourney this Saturday and I have people on a huge list that I regularly invite. Naturally it's unrealistic to expect that everyone on the list will attend. This time it's due to summer trips mostly. Seemed like the poker tourney when I bought the poker table was the best because we had a good number of people which mean the prize money was huge for first, second and third place players. 12 players with a 20 dollar buy in will do that. After that I've only been able to get 1 tables worth. Plus side is it doesn't take as long. Down side is the prize pool isn't so high.

Other problem is I won the last two tourney's I throw. No... I do not rig the deck. I always to keep everyone, including me honest without questions is to start with a new wrapped deck. When the host present an unwrapped deck where the host is going to sit at the table, you're asking for trouble if you happen to place in the money. I do this regardless how much they trust me. So with the problem of winning twice, people think twice about playing me. I know if I win the next time, I'm going to have a bigger problem. So I will personally be happy if I place 2nd or 3rd.

Another problem I face is flakes. People who say they are showing up and then back out at the last minute. It hasn't damaged any games I have thrown to bad, but it does affect the other players. Last game one, bailed out and it nearly damaged the game except The first place wasn't so high and I won it so all in all, I wasn't too bothered except for the fact she did it. This time she says yes with a, "I'm going to do my best to make it." Then yesterday says, "Please forgive me if I don't show." WTF? Needless to say if she doesn't show, she will be off my list for good. I would rather get a definite no or if they were not sure, have them put themselves on the Waiting list (I do this by Evite). Then I don't count on them and if the seats are filling up fast they get notice to make up their mind or risk losing a seat. At least everyone knows where they stand. If I say, "Are you coming yes or no?" then you are going to have flakes, who bail at the last minute. Get enough of them and what you thought was a game of 8 turns into a game of 5. Which could mean it has to be a winner take all or a 60-40 ratio which is not high, but at least two people walk away with a profit. However, if I know enough people are not interested, I can cancel the event and not waste people's time.

2 comments:

jenna... said...

Yep...it's tough getting people together at this time of year. I think it is the end of summer doldrums which Kathy wrote nicely about in her blog.

Giancarlo said...

True, but I sent an evite and people who signed up are backing out. I thought a had at least a full table. One said, "Don't count on me." That pissed me off until I found out another could come. Now I just found out another can't. Yet people say, "Oh G, I can't wait for the next one (I do these quarterly)."