Thursday, October 12, 2006

What do I know about Butch?

For those who have not been in CK (Calorieking) would be slightly clueless to this blog. However there are whom I call the wayward Ckers (former member and at this rate soon to be former) who will get the gist of what I am talking about.

A couple of years back I went down to Disneyland area. A former member and employee of Calorieking and I decided with another member who has a guide dog named Frosty to meet at a Dave and Busters. There were drinks involved and you know how liquid courage loosens the tongue. She told me that CK were making plans to phase Butch out. Apparently they did a slow process of this as it took nearly two years to complete this task.

I wasn't sure what to do with the info or how much weight was involved in the info, but from what I have been reading, Butch finally left an opening to a long standing fight and CK took the shot they needed to take. Hopefully Butch is playing Texas Hold Em somewhere and making more millions then I have made. He will be missed. I have debated on keeping my membership or not. Now that he's gone, it has influenced my decision. You see I know enough to do this on my own. The CK forums which used to be filled with good information are now padded with useless junk so they can make their ranking to royalty.

I'm sure there is a lot more and I'm getting bit by bit information. Perhaps the best thing to do for a friend at this time is to pick up the phone can give the man a call and see how he is holding up.

9 comments:

Patti Rambles On said...

I know G-Man.
Back in the days when Allan and Aston were running the show they saw value to Butch’s interaction with members, that’s why they hired him.
Since Pat and Adam are in the driver’s seat it’s a whole different story. Last year when they cut Butch’s pay in half he was told that Adam didn’t think he was needed at all.
You’re right. By his recent “unexplained” absence, he gave them the handle to the axe.

jenna... said...

Thanks for the 'inside' info -G- and Patti.

Giancarlo said...

So it was under different management. This is new to me. I understood Allen was running things. Not some half-crazed quack and a computer techie.

dibabear said...

He and Pat had differences of opinion in the past, at least one of which was on the forums (polite though it was). When Keith arrived and they made Pat a VP I thought "...and here it comes."

Why I'm so hard on Pat in all of this is that she's a psychologist and *should* know how to handle these things in an effective manner.

Butch's major crime was giving them the ammo they needed. That whole tooth extraction and painkillers thing just set the trap.

I may just spend some quality time over at SparkPeople. On my first look it wasn't my cup of coffee but neither is CK these days. Then again, I know what I have to do...the problem is in the application of said knowledge.

cakegrrl said...

Adam is a major putz. I left CK because they don't address real problems. They just like to take money for information that is kind of common sense anyway. Thanks for the info, G. Will you let me out of the basement now?

Giancarlo said...

The making money part I have no problem with. Everyone has to make a living somehow. Problem is the ethics behind their earnings. If you want good customer relations then you need to do or not do things that are going to piss off the majority of the customer base.
On the flip side they are aware of the hit they may be taking and figure people are going to log into CK for weight issues. Not because Butch is there.
I never took her (Pat) serious to begin with. Even when she start a thread with her psychobabble.
Okay Kristy, you can leave my basement only because I promised my wife I have the house clean for the poker party. ;-)

jenna... said...

It is so easy to piss Pat off. Just disagree with her.

Not that I would intentionally do something like that. Oh no...

Giancarlo said...

I loved Pat's response. Not sure what she thought was undeserved. The fact she screwed Butch (metaphorically) or the fact I called her a quack.

Patti Rambles On said...

My favorite part was where she called me a liar.
Good thing I don't swear in other people's blogs or I'd call her a ******* *****.