Friday, October 06, 2006

How do you know when you are over tired?

When you show up to the soccer field 45 minutes prior to the match so you decide since you don't see any teams yet, you recline back your carseat to "rest your eyes". Next thing you know the opening whistle wakes you up and you realize you slept through the pre-game.
Never in my years as a referee have I done anything like this. I'm always a stickler for being on time, 30 minutes prior. Was I embarrased? You bet your ass I was. I quickly got the rest of my uniform on and ran like hell to the field to take the flag from the club linesman and resume my duties as an AR (I had the center). As a result I felt I missed out on a good game as it was two rival clubs. Vernon, who took the center, did a fine job. He just needs to get more comfortable with his game. Even as I write this, I'm still embarrassed. Last time I overslept through a soccer game, I was 15 years old.
The week oncall has been quiet. Not one phone call this week on either one of use (two of us are on call). I've been reluctant to take games because of this. It not like I need the money now since I'm making more for just being on stand by. Maybe I need to start talking about quality games only and not so much quanity.
In other news I'm an outraged parent. It appears in livermore some jackass is leaving pipe bombs around that explode when someone picks them up, placing our kids in immediate danger. I personally would like 5 minutes with that jackass.

No comments: