Monday, October 16, 2006

End of the road for my journey to grade 5

Well I took the test and passed with 90%. Now people who know I have been refereeing for a long time will say, "Well you're an instructor and been doing this for a long time. Of course you are going to pass." What they don't know is USSF is rewording the tests to keep the long time State referees like myself from coasting years after year without studying. This would be true for me, but last year I got a rude awakening as I scored below 90% for the first time with an 84% Fortunately all I needed was a 75% but I never have scored below 90 on any given test until last year. That was a good thing because had I coasted this year, I know for sure I would not score about an 85 to get my grade 5. To be honest there was a point I looked at the questions and asked on several occasions, "What the hell?"

Reffed an U19 girls match where the Dublin coach warned me that it may get physical. It didn't get as physical as expected and when it did start, I was in their faces. Managed with 2 cards, one for UB and the other for PI. We had champagne at the end of the day.

The Cheetah girls played well. We held on to a 1-0 lead for so long and then defense lost focus so the other team could equalize. Game ended 1-1 but finally they were passing and spread out. I tell you after practice I didn't think it sunk in, but I was glad to see that it did.

In other news I'm in mourning as my laptop got a crack in the LCD monitor. Getting estimates on repairs. Hoping it's not too expensive or I am going to need to shop for a new laptop.

Well congress decided online poker is illegal and that jackass we call our president of the US signed off on it, making it law. Bastard! I went to play on Friday and found the news. My friend Paul told me he could not get his funds out. But his balance I think was under 50 bucks. I made an attempt and it seems like I will get my funds soon. Looking forward to it since I can't bet anymore.

2 comments:

jenna... said...

First... Congrats!!!! Grade 5 - Well Done...

Second... bummer on the laptop. I hope you can get it fixed cheaply.

...and sorry you lost your online poker. :(

Giancarlo said...

I hope I can get it fixed cheaply too. I was really happy with this laptop and didn't seek to upgrade for at least another 3 years.

As for the online poker, yeah it's a bummer. I can play the "free games" but it's not the same. My wife's happy in one aspect because she has a little more of me back. See? I plus side to a minus.