Thursday, October 12, 2006

Team Ronaldo goes undefeated

Okay I know what you are asking. Who the hell is team Ronaldo. Well it turns out my local soccer league whom I coach my daughter hosted a coaches tournament. Basically the games lasted 25 minutes (not halves) and then you basically do a round robin with 3 of the other teams.

First game, was probably my best game. I decided it would be better if I came out as a sub. Turned out to work for the best. Shortly after I came off the bench, I battled for the ball, won it, dribbled it down, passed to the midfielder who passed back, I fed it up to my striker whom put it in. I said, "How about that? Our first goal came off an assist from me." That was short lived as when we were on the defense, a center forward was unmarked and as a result we got scored on. First game ended 1-1. According to several other, it should have been 3-1 but we got two goals called back due to offside.

Second game, we dominated the game, not getting scored on, but also getting an early goal. My performance out there was pretty crappy as my first slide tackle in almost 2 decades. Needless to say, it was still good.





3rd game turned out to be a do or die for us. We got scored on twice. It seemed like our chances of taking the crown were slim. The game was pretty physical. Then we got a goal from an angle shot. Then our esteemed captain ripped one 30 yards out. We tied that match. Since everyone else had tied and lost one, we took the crown with a win and two ties.

Games were close and the people who came to cheer us on had fun. I'm sore from not playing for nearly 5 years and using muscles I hadn't used in a while. Should make the fun run this sunday more bearable.

No comments: