Sunday, July 30, 2006

Last day as a free man

Because tomorrow I have to go back to work. Today I am just going around doing the honey do's. Need to finish up the paperwork of the classes I finished recently. Nothing too exciting to report. Planning on stepping on the pitch next week after being on the injured list for almost a month. What level of play depends on the coordinators I am talking to. Would prefer an amateur match, but at the same time if I do a local match, I don't have to drive far. Money is not a factor in this decision, but my journey to my next grade is a huge factor.

Gabriel is sick. I think the altitude affected him last week as he was the only one who was not having a good time. Of course coming home his ears started to drain again. I'm hoping after a few days he'll be back to normal. I know my in-laws were concerned where in most cases we have lived through it.

I read a blog yesterday where a referee was put in a position to handle taunting. Now if you have followed the events after the headbutt of Zidane, you would know Materazzi did admit to insulting Zidane, but didn't mention what Zidane accused him of mentioning. It doesn't matter what the insult, but Materazzi should have been dealt with if any of the referees heard him. Obviously they didn't (in a packed stadium you barely hear anything from the players unless they are in your face). Since Materazzi did publicly admit to insulting Zidane, I felt the suspension was appropriate.

***************Warning Foul Language******************************************


So back to the referee in question. He heard a player say, "Get up you pussy!" He let play continue (I hope it was because the player's team who received the insult had advantage) and at the stoppage where the goalkeeper picked up the ball and the referee stopped the game, went to administer the caution. I'm okay with that, even if the letter of the law states you send off a player for foul, abusive, and insulting language or gestures. He then said, when asked for what the caution was for he responded, "It's insults like that that ended Zidane's game pre-maturely." At first I had to confess, it was a great response to shut the players up. Problem is when I think of it and read some comments, I changed the way I thought because he let his own personal feelings get in the way of what is perceived as fair officiating. Almost as he was giving Zidane a little justice indirectly (I don't know if he's French or just likes the French team). Now as I was working my way to State I had a similar incident. I sent the player off to stop the taunting and stop anything from escalating. Well things escalated, but not with the teams. It was with their attention I drew to myself. Being that it was the fastest red card I have ever pulled (only 5 minutes in the game) I knew the next 85 minutes was going to be murder. But at least they didn't take it out on each other, so looking back I got what I wanted with the red.

No comments: