Thursday, January 11, 2007

Beckham signs with LA Galaxy

Since the MLS has lifted the salery cap, things have gotten interesting. The most interesting thing that has happened is Beckham signing up. As on article it was calling instead of Bend it like Beckham it was called spending it like Beckham.

One of my concerns is MLS is following the old cliche', those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. NASL went into a spending spree and not many years later, went bankrupt. It pretty much caused us not to have quality soccer for nearly a decade.

Of course financial discipline is not the only thing MLS needs to do to get their act together. They need to be more accordance to FIFA. They tried their marketing BS like the shootout and letting star players get away with murder.

It's true. It seems that when a referee for example goes national and has MLS opportunities they need to conform to MLS, not USSF, but MLS or forget about refereeing that league. I seen two cases of this first hand.
I won't name names, but the first time I was on the AR spot and noticed a few players that were playing out of control. A few cards I felt should have been given and the goalkeeper for one team, I swear he was on something like PCP because he was complaining but not making a lot of sense. When I asked why he let so much go, he said, "He needed to cater to the fans who want to see action." I had my opinion on that statment but since I was new in the division I was AR in, I bit my tongue.
Years later I was on the line for another National Referee. Another one who didn't clamp down on dissent and let things go, including potential cards. I was not a vetren now and didn't hold my tongue too much. When he said he should have giving that one player a second yellow for the reckless challenge I said "It should have came sooner" as the guy was heckling me most of the game. He also let a goalkeeper come out to challenge me after I saved the referee's butt in a PK call and later finding out almost cautioned the wrong man. I didn't get that card until after he was scored on he said something in spanish in regards to my mother.

Back to the MLS, the question lies to: Are we signing up a quality player or are we getting a used farrari which has some problems that will haunt him and the MLS? He's had a fair share of injuries over the year. His performance in the world cup was sub-par with just a free kick.

If this doesn't work out we'll never see the San Jose Earthquakes again. Why? Becuase the MLS will be bankrupt.

2 comments:

Tom Kendig said...

GC,

Beckham on most of the England matches in the world cup controlled the midfield. And his serves into the PT (Primary Target goal area) were spectacular. Beckham is a skilled player and a leader and deserves to be captain of the English team.

My comment is where is Donovan on this new LA Galaxy team? Do the Galaxy need two great mid fielders on the same pitch? And Donovan, who wants to live in LA might not get to be there anymore. I am surprised he has been silent so far.

In amature matches I am amazed how much some of the referees let the players get away with. I too don't think it is right.

Then I did an college match with Yader Reyes. He did not let the guys get away with anything. He even talked smake with the players when they challenged his calls. I was pleased.

I am not convinced Beckham will be good for the MLS, but it will be fun to see him play in the US.

TEK

Tom Kendig said...

GC,

You got to love it.

Beckham finally gets to start for Real Madrid and he gets SENT OFF!

I know know what to do when someone applauds my refereeing by giving a yellow, give them a second yellow and send them away.

I want to like Beckham but he sure behaves like a bone head sometimes.

Ronney was sent off last week for applauding the referee also. Seems the English like to express themselves on the pitch.

TEK