Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The american dream is dying.

I was once raised that you went to school, you got a good education, and you get a good paying job. Well I went to school, I never finished college, I have a decent job. I watched the cost of education rise in the community college level. I have to confess, I didn't go to the four year college and I was afraid to look and see what the cost per semester would be. I was afraid for what I would do, I would go, get a student loan, and be in massive debt.
In fact I did get into debt on a trade school student loan. After going to this school I didn't land a job in the field. It took 3 years and more schooling (this time on a full ride scholarship) and then I landed the job I trained for. I was still paying off my student loan and it took another 3 years for that. Oh it was for less than 10K but I also was deep in debt until I hit a small windfall.

That is when I read this article about a Chiropractor, just out of school, is working two jobs, less than 50K a year. I'm not putting down the power of education, but the cost of it is getting so high, I fear for my daughter to have a fighting chance.

No comments: