Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Viewing Perspectives.

Saturday night I spent time with a friend. He was disappointed, no upset about the performance from his son at State Cup. So I stood there patiently listening to him telling how upset he was that he spent all this money on his boy, only realizing now he may not have the drive to continue the sport.

After my games on Sunday I spent time with my fellow referees. One of them I learned teaches a coaching clinic. One of the thing he sees is there are plenty of coaches that took the course 10-15 years ago, but never come back for a refreasher. Sounds like several referees I know. Another ref works in the CYSA office and said something profound: The city leagues are giving so much attention and money to the division one program and the players who play for the city, are not even from the city. Having my daughter in Division 4, that really doesn't sit well.

I read a blog where the parents were really getting into the "spirit" of things in a State Cup match. I have a feeling it was not only for winning, but about the investment the parents made in winning things like State Cup and regionals. Or how so much money goes to the technical directors whom the player sees not nearly enough. But to the TD's defense, there's only one of him.

To the parents who invest that much money in the player, need to know this: You can shell out thousands of dollars, have the best trainers, coaches, and what not. However, when it comes down to it, there are two teams, and one winner. Which means there is one loser who invested a lot of money just to lose. That's alot of pressure to put on your kid.

No comments: