Saturday, April 28, 2007

A near perfect game surrounded by crap.

I'm sitting in my hotel room writing this after refereeing 5 games. I'm getting too old for this. I''m over at the Comstock Shootout, which is a tournament in Carson City NV. I have been doing this tournament for a number of years (except for one year I missed) and usually what is more enjoyable is the friendships I maintain and the new friends I make.

Game number 1. Los Vegas vs. South Shore.
Los Vegas pretty much took charge of the game with possession of the ball. They scored one early goal. They were the more physical team, but both teams had their fair share of fouls. For the most part, it was a good game. Then here's where it hit the fan. I called a passback, because it was played by a defender and the keeper had time to decide to pick up the ball. I called it and the keeper was pissed. I should have booked her for dissent, but I let it go. Nothing came as a result. But I notice LV was kicking the ball a little far out then normal. There were also some injuries so with a 1-0 differential, I added time. Two minutes to be exact. Well in the final minute of regulation, South Shore scored the equalizer. This apparently pissed off LV. Then in the final minute of extra time, the scored again. Coach and keeper wanted to "ask me a question". Truth is they wanted a pissing match where I said, "This conversation is over."

I found out I had LV again and demanded to be removed, moved to another game, whatnot. After 2 hours of debating they moved me to another center in an U19. I had South Shore. I really don't like to see the same teams but this was the lesser of two evils. And it also was a near perfect match. I only called two fouls and one offside. The only problem is RSU, the losing team's coach, wanted stoppage for chasing the ball, but with a 4-0 match, I wasn't going to go there. Especially since I knew they lost their first match and are most likely out of contention of playoffs. But since the coach mildly complained about that, well I'll take that imperfection as there is no such thing as a perfect game.
My last game I was an AR. Coaches on both sides were jackasses. Apparently according to Tim S., my travel buddy, the spectators were just as bad. Didn't know the first thing of offside.

Well I'm headed to the Fandango for a buffet and hopefully to get in a Texas Hold Em game.

2 comments:

Tom Kendig said...

GC,

Combining your two favorites, soccer and Texas Hold Em.

So the players were not the problem but the coaches.

Bill Miller said they want to referees to warn the coach once and remove him from the match the second time. Bill got feedback from high up that they are tired of the coaches behavior on matches at all levels.

Looks like you had an opportunity to exercise some of that new philosophy.

As for the pass back, I don't understand why a smart keeper would not have cleared the ball. They have to know there is too much of a risk that the referee could call a pass back. why risk it??

Will you be seen at SF Cup??

TEK

Giancarlo said...

Tom,

Bill Miller usually has good things to say, I'm sorry I don't hear enough of him these days. I actually would have loved for the coach to get pitched, but the center was too lenient in my opinion.

I won't be at the SF cup, as I have injured my groin muscle and my Achilles at that tournament and am trying to recover so I can get my maintenance before the season is over.