Monday, October 01, 2007

World Cup Final Recap..Beauty doesn't score goals.

I have to say the better team won and I was pleased to say it was not Brazil. Why? Don't get me wrong, they play a beautiful game....when they want to. Meaning when they are not going down too easily and trying to draw a foul. And even worse yet, trying to draw out cards like they successfully did against the USA.
Germany's touches on the ball were not spectactular in comparison to Brazil, but Germany's touches counted with two goals. Beauty doesn't score goals.

The refereeing? I have to say I was surprised that Seitz was not in the middle, but then again, I'm not. There seems to be a stigmatism against the USA when it comes to World Cup finals. Esse Barharmist didn't get it in 1998. And that was after the incredible display of courage of calling a PK while most of the world booed him...until a swedish camera picked up the foul. Not 2002's Brian Hall where players who had his game stated they had very little problems with his refereeing. Not 2003 where Seitz or Hunt could have done the final. I won't go into 2006.

This austrailian referee was okay, but my only problem was she didn't use her cards enough because in the second half, things got agressive on both sides. Danilla should have gotten a red card (second caution) for that bad tackle. Verbally talking to the players only goes so far.

Still it was an entertaining game to watch and Germany did deserve it. Oh for those who ask, I wouldn't have called that PK a DOGSO because there was another German player who may have been able to contest for the ball. When it's not "Obvious" then it's not a red. I'll give the referee Kudos for that one.

No comments: