Monday, October 01, 2007

Hope Solo is really gone Solo in the 3rd place match

Well the US, even though we didn't win the cup, managed to keep the record of not placing below 3rd. Reminds me of my hme poker games, except that record was broken this spring. They played some good ball. I wished they played like that during the other games but as someone pointed out, it's a bit unfair to compare them to team 1999.

However the controversy seems to be surrounding Hope Solo being replaced by Brianna Scurry. Then it surrounded Solo's outbursts to the media. Then it surrounded Solo's suspension from the team for the 3rd place match.

Now I believe the outburst was directed at Greg Ryan and Greg Ryan only. Scurry unfortunately got caught in the crossfire or should I say friendly fire. I believe Solo has respect for Scurry, but just failed to show it when giving the outburst. I feel Scurry may be able to read between the lines and realize she wasn't the one being attacked. I believe those two will reconsile.
Coach Ryan however is another story. It amazing he can have an impressive record and then one game screws everything up. I agree with Solo that you cannot live in the past. I just don't fully agree with the method of speaking out.

Dispite Solo's outburst I have come to admire her this year as this is the first year I got to know of her. And I understand where it came from and if I were in her shoes (does she wear a size 10?) I might have reacted the same way. Yes she had a bad game against Korea, but it was wet out there and people screw up. She has more then atoned for that one. 3 shut outs and you reward her by benching her for the Semi Finals. Crap I must say. Maybe she figured she had nothing more to lose by speaking out. Anyone ever thought of that one. Wynalda did it in 1998 when Sampson put him in the midfield vs. forward and kicked Harks off the team.

2 comments:

Jose said...

Hi Giancarlo. Not sure if you remember me... I'm a D3 youth from Newark, and we met at Crossroads.
Tom Kendig referred me to your blog.

I have heard another side of the Hope Solo outburst, from an MLS referee.
Apparently, Solo made it through the media tunnel, saying "No" to all interviews, but at the end, a Canadian reporter approached her and a USSF Media official stepped in saying "You should only be speaking to players that actually played."
Thus leading to the outburst...

That's just another side I've heard.
Take care.

Giancarlo said...

Hi Jose,

I sure do remember you. Thank you for that little insight that I apparently missed. Nothing like stirring the hornet's net.