Friday, October 19, 2007

Back on the pitch, but too soon

I got clearance from my doctor last week, reluctantly. He told me to start slow. I figured an U12 boys class 3 match was slow enough for me not to put a lot of effort in keeping up, but fast enough so I would not die of boredom.

At the opening whistle there was a hard foul by Union City, which was met with a hard whistle from me followed by, "I don't want to see anymore of that!" For the most part I believe that and a couple other foul calls after the fact let the players know I was on top of this game. Didn't hear a c'mon ref once which is a silent complement by itself. Union city beat Dublin 7-1, but I had fun.

However a few things surrounded the game which was, in my opinion, unpleasant. So let's bring out the list:

The Dublin league and the counties surrounding it are extraordinarily protective of their fields after rain. It's been getting worse as the years go by. You have to call the rain out schedule 2 days out. I did out of instinct. The game before us got the message and played at the Dublin Sports Ground. My game, the teams did not get the message so I had to gather my crew get over to Emerald Glen. This caused the game to be late and the irony of it was the coaches of Dublin took my class last summer and heard my lecture of being on time. 30 minutes prior to the match.

  1. I was about the start the game and the league president shows up and tells me to move the game to the other field. I told her the "problem" she stated is not a big deal and we're going to play. I also told her that to expect people to call the rainout number 2 days after it rains is unrealistic. So I'm sure she is seething, but the 8 by 10 mud hole wasn't an issue.
  2. My physical fitness has deteriorated from being off 5-6 months and need to build it back up. Not ready for amateurs yet. Foot was sore, but it wasn't my Achilles so to speak, but the parts surrounding my ankle. Still for the Achilles sake, I'm playing it cautiously.

3 comments:

Jose said...

It's nice to hear you finally got some action.
How long have you been out.
-Jose

Giancarlo said...

Since the end of April. Unfortunately my return was premature. Not to worry, nothing serious, but just enough warning sign to let me know I am not ready.

Unknown said...

GC,

U12B D3. Hard foul? oooh, it is Union City.

I made a post where I describe as soon as I heard a "c'mon ref" I went right over to the coach and said there is no instruction in "c'mon ref" and we'll hear no more of that!

President checking up on you. Now that gives you something to blog about.

Your whistle has always been in shape so quite complaining and take a more difficult match! :-)

Did a PSL match this last weekend. First time in a while. They miss you out there GC!

Keep getting better!

TEK