Monday, March 31, 2008

Passed my assessment...I'm back baby!

I didn't want to talk too much about my assessment prior to the match because the way my year went, I didn't want to jinx anything. Now that it's over (well for catching up purposes) I can talk about it.

For those that were unaware of my situation, I'll catch you up. I had a groin strain and an achillies tendonitus. Lovely combination, let me tell you. I spent 6 months in theropy and the rest of my time was just stretching and doing a game or two to see where I was physically. Now some of you might be wondering, "Shouldn't you have gotten a medical waiver for the year?"
Well that was the master plan. If it meant I could not do any games in 2007, I would have stuck with that. However, the powers that be (names will cost you a good beer) said no medical waiver. Either I drop down to a grade 8 or go Emeritus and either case I could go back once I make up my requirements in a timely mannor. This didn't sit well with me, but I have learned over the months I was not the only one affected of this. A few other referees took a downgrade due to this (names will cost you another round).

You might say I was pissed when I learned this. I put 20 plus years in this program and I felt it turned its back on me. I was told a glimmer of hope which was to heal, then get the requirements done, and then I would be reinstated to a 5.

I was discouraged a bit but a couple of things happened. One, I wasn't going to accept a grade 8 when I actually certify people for that level. I went Emeritus, knowing I can come back in a timely mannor. However (no names third round) was talking to a novice referee and was called a professional. He said, "I'm no professional," looked right at me and pointed and I know he saw my Emeritus, turned desparately to find someone else. I'll have to thank him for motivating me like that when at the same time calling him on it.

At the assessment day, I was expecting a good crew of assistants. I know John tried to set it up like that for my benifit. However, I found out late in the game, one guy bailed out and I got a rookie I have never seen before. I wasn't too worried. In fact I almost had a "I don't give a flying ---- what happens." Reason? I'm not going national. At one time I thought I was, but I have to be honest with myself and know it's not in the cards for me. Plus I don't like where the program has been going these days. So I called yesterday my fork in the road. Either I pass it and get my 5 and a sense of accomplishment that I made a come back or I fail and remain an Emeritus (Another round for why it wouldn't be so bad tens years from now).
The game, well boys will be boys, but 5 cards I thought I settled things down, but after the game, there was a melee and I was smack in the middle of it. Managed to separate them before things got really bad.

The feedback. I have to say was not what I expected. To be honest, I am still not to my old self. He noticed that. Actually he was more worried about my health then assessing me. Was kind of somber in a way. The first thing he said to me was, "I'm here for you. I'm here to help you." Then he asked me to be frank. I told him if I was more physically fit, I would have handled some stuff better. We were in agreement of that. He asked me how long have I been back. I said this was my 3rd week. He told me I passed, but if I am not in good health, don't ask for an assessment. Better work on that.

2 comments:

Jose said...

nice work. =]

Sandi said...

get your butt back in gear man.. we all know at the "old CK" that you can do it....

congrads on passing the assessment