Friday, March 14, 2008

It's nice to know even though you have been out for 10 months...

...your reputation is still intact. Did an amateur match for the first time since the injury. It was great to be back. For a 2nd division match, it was a pretty competitive match. Had to grab the game by the balls and twist early in the match.

My first card was for dissent as one player wouldn't shut up, despite my warnings to do so. Another card for a reckless challenge. Then I called a PK for an obvious trip in the Penalty area. Easy call. South city answered back in the beginning of the 2nd half. Then South City defender thought he was going to get away with a handling in the penalty area with his arm out stretched and "arming" the ball. Again, easy call. Got some protests on that one. Even after the PK was converted and scored and I wound up giving a card to the captain while Bosnia tried to delay game. One got a card for their trouble.

Overall I did fine, my AR's noted I was up with play and not bad for being 10 months out.
ARed a second match where one team was late. I'll get into some key points here.

1. I'm too young to be Emeritus so I'm keeping my graying beard.
2. You know you are getting old when a coach is saying, "I remember you from last year." and despite the unique figure, you can't rememeber where you have seen him.
3. If a game is at 3:45pm, why do you show up to a game at 3:30pm with no filled roster?
4. If a game is at 3:45pm why do the subs show up at 3:50pm expecting to play when they just had enough time to put 11 starting players (no subs around) by the time we should be kicking off? (trivia question).
5. To the guy I had a pissing contest with over getting the ball close to goal while the other was half a field away. I wouldn't yell at you if you didn't argue with me. Deal with it! You're lucky I didn't call the center to card your ass for dissent and delay restart.
6. To the subs who begged and plead to write their names in. Let this be a lesson. Get your asses on time and tell your manager/coach to do the same thing.
7. Speaking of item 6. I thought it was pretty hypocritical of the manager to yell at the subs of getting there 30 minutes before the game when he showed up 15 minutes prior to the match.

It's great to be back.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

GC, you are back? Back refereeing or back blogging? It is nice to have you back on both accounts.

Dissent - never knew what that was until Amateur matches.

I had a dissent caution this last weekend. The old fart would not shut up as he just yelled at the AR for a easy off side call.

Grey beard? Maybe it is time for some hair color for men.

I'll read your other posts later.

TEK

Unknown said...

GC, you are back? Back refereeing or back blogging? It is nice to have you back on both accounts.

Dissent - never knew what that was until Amateur matches.

I had a dissent caution this last weekend. The old fart would not shut up as he just yelled at the AR for a easy off side call.

Grey beard? Maybe it is time for some hair color for men.

I'll read your other posts later.

TEK

Giancarlo said...

I'm back on both counts. Problem is my time has been divided with work and soccer that I have to referee every other month unless I can prearrainge it.