Tuesday, September 11, 2007

USA still flat as they tie Korea

You would think they would stay on guard as they enter the first game on asian soil, against an asian team. Wrong. They were flat. The management on the sidelines did a lousy job getting either Wombach back on the field or subbing. Wombach socred the first goal. Then gets a head injury which there is blood so she has to leave per FIFA law.
It takes well over 5 minutes to get her bandanged up and as a result they played a player down and Korea capitized on that not once, but twice. Luckly we tied it in the end, but like USA women, we take it as a loss.

The silver lining is the other two teams in the group of death also tied so it's almost a level playing field.

2 comments:

Tom Kendig said...

GC,

I think Wombach should shave her head. I'm speculating the problem with the cut was it was in her hair and they could not get to it to pull the cut together and cover it and get her back on the field.

You faulted the US team.

Where did these N Korean's come from. They did play a beautiful soccer match against a very skilled USA team.

How come there was no open USA players, N Korea did a great job of covering the USA players. N Korea put a lot of energy into that match. More than the USA players I think.

Keep the comments coming so I can post back!

TEK

Giancarlo said...

I can't disagree with your first statment. However, there is so much depth in the US team, she should have been subbed. I think one of the two goals would have been prevented as a result. I like Hope Solo, but this was her worst moment. I'm glad she shook it off and made the great save to preserve the tie.

Yes I still fault the US team. In fact I think the US team fault themselves. There was a quote stating that this was a loss to them.

The only USA sub came during stoppage time. Greg Ryan is being heavily criticized for that.