Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sunday's game

Had a good AR assignment at Boxer Stadium this weekend. Two good San Francisco teams played each other to a 2-2 tie. The center, Mauricio was good as he always is. Every time I work with him, it's always a pleasure. Could be we're both Italians too. :-) While on weekend #2 of a 4 month layoff Maurico had better comments on my line then I did for myself. I still felt like I was shaking the rust off. He said I was flying up and down the line. I know my knowledge kept me a float. I felt good in the end. Game was in control for most occasion as I did watch Mauricio's back on at least 3 occasions. One was cautioning a player for leaving the field. Only my 2nd one in my long career.

I was comfortable as I knew players on both sides. One of the players who used to play for the A league Seals, was wondering when I was going to get a center at Boxer. I told him it was hinted I would get an assignment this season. He was hoping it would be sooner then later. I thought that was a nice complement. On the other team, I recognized a player who was a strong youth referee up a Sacramento. Took him a while to remember me because I had less facial hair the last time he saw me. It wasn't until I reminded him of a center he did for an U17 boys game where a fight broke out and he got physical with the players when separating him. I gave him a pep talk on how that could have went against him, but was entertaining to watch (yes I can be a sadist).

The third and final thing that made it interesting, the other AR is from Southern California. He has done Amateurs there and told me he would be doing 3 games a Sunday, whereas up here people are happy to get one AR assignment. My lesson for those who are complaining about the AR assignments. If you are bored with the AR assignments you are getting, then you are not challenged enough in the AR level and should do whatever it take to get to a level where you feel challenged, unless you're a National doing MLS, and then well...there's little hope for you.

No comments: